Thursday 10 January 2013

Holidays in the Philippines



Christmas wreath made from discarded books.
Over the past few weeks I have been welcomed into people’s homes, traditions and celebrations. It has been wonderful to learn how the holidays are celebrated in the Philippines. Christmas is a big deal here with the world’s longest Christmas season celebrated from September till the feast of the Black Nazarene on January 9th.  American holiday songs are popular and it has been funny to be walking around the town plaza listening to  “White Christmas” blasting from the Municipal Hall while I am already sweating at 6am, very different from growing up in Montana.

New experiences have included: great homestays with families, new foods (biko, lechon, lanzones), walking through a pitch black field at 3:30am to attend a dawn church service, wearing polka dots (good luck for the new year), fireworks and lots of new friends.
Mall of Asia in Manila



View in Santa Ana
Trying to pump water


My lovely hosts for Christmas
Pumping water is hard work





The famous Lechon!
Neighborhood child climbing tree to get a coconut (buko) for fresh juice
Good luck for the New Year includes 13 round fruits on the table.
While I have been missing my family and friends in America and Australia over the holidays, I feel so fortunate to be learning new things. I greatly appreciate the many wonderful Filipinos who have gone out of their way to welcome me and the new connections and friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment