Saturday 12 May 2012

Rainforest Adventure


The school semester is speeding by and we are entering fall/winter here in Brisbane. I remain mixed up about directions, some words and weather, isn't it supposed to be spring? So far it just seems to be different shades of warm although now the nights are cool. Classes are going well, lots of reading! (lots of learning too :)  Rather than taking you through the pile of journal articles on my desk with titles like…. the Paradox of Trust, or State Sovereignty and the Articulation of Political Space/ Time, or another favorite-Paradigmatic framing of protracted, intractable conflict: toward the development of a meta-framework-II'
….I realized  I'm a bit behind on sharing some of my adventures outside of uni coursework.

Through the generosity of new friends and my Rotary counselor Pam I have been able to explore some of the areas around Brisbane. One of my first outings was a drive up the ‘Bruce’ (well really Highway 1 but like many things Aussie it has a nickname) to the Mary Craincross Rainforest   where we had a spectacular view of the Glass House Mountains, ancient volcanic plugs.   Before we walked into the rainforest the park staff advised us to apply a good dose of leech repellant- yikes!
Glass House Mountains

Immediately we were surrounded….not by leeches, phew! but by a rich variety of trees and plants with an amazing number of  different shades of green and leaf shapes.  I learned about the Catbird (bird that sounds like a crying baby- really) the Wampu (another bird), the Strangler Fig and Lawyer Vine- which has all sorts of prickly spines.  We even spotted Pademelons, six in total, sort of like a small version of a kangaroo.  After traipsing through a Palm grove and escaping leech free we had a lovely coffee in the rain at the mountain top cafe. 


Maleny  was next on our itinerary, a quaint town in the hinterland with a Sunday market and small arts and crafts shops.  My favorite was this woodworking shop where you were invited to touch all sorts of finished and unfinished pieces of furniture. Then off to the Sunshine Coast, where I was treated to an iconic Aussie lunch at the Alex Heads Surf Lifesaving Club complete with the chance to watch a “Nippers” race in the surf.  (kids in surf lifesaving youth programs)  Combined with a swim in the ocean before heading back to Brizzy it was a full day!


Notice the note at the top...



Pademelon, none of my pictures turned out as they hopped too fast!

Alexandra Heads

Beach!


4 comments:

  1. Hello, I miss you. You're pictures are beautiful. Keep sending me articles, this is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an adventure! You are my hero! I miss you dearly.

    Ahmad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love hearing about all your adventures - can't wait to hear more! Miss you!
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you, beautiful! Can't wait for the next adventure!

    ReplyDelete